Dear valued customer,
Last November, Sunriver Environmental listened to the questions and concerns you voiced at the Sunriver Utilities Wastewater Treatment Plant public meeting. We also reviewed comments you provided in writing, as well as additional comments we received via email. Please know that we value your input, and your specific concerns regarding odor, noise, and aesthetics have been taken into consideration during the ongoing design process, of which we have completed 60% to date.
Below is a summary of the improvements that are currently planned in our design to address your concerns, and to minimize the system’s impact on customers and the surrounding area:
Odor Reduction Improvements
• Significant technical improvements were made to the new headworks’ odor reduction system since it is a major source of odor.
• To better accommodate the transfer of raw sewage into the facility for screening and grit removal, the headworks is expected to be relocated to the north of the existing Headworks.
• There will always be negative pressure in the headworks, which pulls odors into the odor control system instead of allowing them to escape to the outside.
• All screenings will now be washed, compacted and loaded inside the Headworks building. Currently screenings are washed, compacted and loaded from dumpster to open truck, which allows odors to escape.
• The secondary clarifiers (two round tanks), located near the pathway at West Cascade and Topflite, are another current source of odors. These clarifiers will be cleaned out and taken out of service, which will significantly reduce odors in these areas.
Noise Reduction Improvements
• The new generator will be located east of the new aeration basins. The generator is required by DEQ to ensure the plant operates properly and doesn’t overflow during an emergency situation, like a power outage.
• The generator will be fully enclosed, which will significantly dampen the noise.
• To further minimize noise, the generator will be exercised at partial power during weekday work hours once a month, and will operate at full load during emergency situations only.
• New aspen trees will be added north and west of the new Headworks Building, and a new cedar or similar-type fence will be installed to help screen the Headworks from roads and pathways.
• The perimeter trees will be preserved to screen the Headworks Building from West Cascade Road and Topflite Road.
To see a detailed view of the plan layout, please click here. Please respond to this website with any questions or comments. We greatly appreciate your time and attention to this Wastewater Treatment Plant Improvement Project.
Serving the Sunriver, Crosswater, Caldera Springs and Vandevert Ranch communities of
Central Oregon. Contact us during regular office hours Monday - Friday 7:00am - 3:00pm
(except holidays) at (541) 593-4197. During after hours, we can be reached at (541) 419-6469.
In an ongoing effort to protect our customers and employees, THE SUNRIVER UTILITIES OFFICE
IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. We are still available by phone.